Monday, October 21, 2013

Circles


I've heard it said that a person should keep their circle of friends the size of a cheerio, meaning smaller is better. But there are other components to your circle besides size. 

Everyone wishes for a group of cool, tight knitted friends.  The type of person in which you know the exact moment they became your friend. You know, like the Will Truman's and Grace Adler's of the world (Will & Grace), or perhaps the ultra-hip, highly successful, college friends like in the movie "The Best Man". 

These types of relationships are rare, established and true to form by way of experiencing and witnessing pivotal moments in life, the failures, the imperfections and the triumphs.  A close circle of friends has a watchful eye on each other by any means necessary...social media...modern technology... or just by a good 'ol fashion meet- and-say-hi. It is a beautiful thing.

Components of your circle

This past weekend, I traveled to Austell, Georgia, to a housewarming party. Sam & Tracy's housewarming was exactly that --warm--homey, and inviting.  This couple is blessed with a beautiful home to continue raising and nurturing their family, and on Saturday, I received a blessing by being a part of their "small" circle of friends.  Tracy and I met on a contract job assignment about 3 years ago.  It's funny, what started out as a contract assignment with an individual, turned into being a bonafide lasting friendship.  My circle just got a little wider...

Sunday morning had me travelling to Lithonia, Georgia, where after years of invitations to attend, I was able to attend my good friend's Women's Day Celebration.  I've know Shawanna for over 9 years and knew that she sang in the choir, but I didn't know she sang like that!  She had a message for us that day, and I was fortunate enough to hear it.  It goes to show you that you never know everything about your friends!  My circle just sang a melody...

 
Developing your circle takes time. It is a two way street that involves the change and evolution of  individuals. It is a task that should be worked on constantly.  It can be a weighty responsibility, but highly rewarding.  For some, their circle is like family.  After all, these are the people who come into your life for a reason, for a season...and decided it was worth it to stay.  My circle just got a little more appreciative...

Peace and blessings,

Phaedra

No comments:

Post a Comment